Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My husband and I have made our position quite clear through emails to Margaret Atack and JPS.

In addition I would like to make a few points.

I want to know where the children of those from GEMS present at yesterdays meeting go to school. I am sure that if they had their precious kids at JPS they would not be happy with the current situation…(I wish I had thought to ask this of them at the meeting)

I do truly believe that Mel Curtis is firmly opposed to this and is caught in the middle. Hence the apparent gagging order on her yesterday. I know not everyone is a fan but I think she is doing all that she can on our behalf.

I believe that the next step needs to be media coverage. I think that this needs to go to Gulf News, Khaleej Times, The National etc and perhaps the UK media considering the similar history of a GEMS run school in the UK. If anybody has suitable contacts now is the time to call them in.

In the second meeting yesterday Margaret Atack asked for a show of hands from those that had their children tutored. Apparently approx 60 – 70% raised their hands much to the surprise of GEMS. Perhaps we need to somehow formalize this figure in order to drive home our point.

Many thanks to the blog starters and a huge thank you to Linda for her succinct and eloquent words yesterday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I strongly believe that the Executive Principal/CEO of the school, Mel Curtis is directly responsible for this fiasco, so the first solution to all these is to get her to resign immediately from JPS.

During the meeting with parents on Tuesday, 23 Septemebr 2008, she was totally unhelpful and she walked out of the meeting. This type of behaviour should not be tolerated and we cannot allow her to lead the school.

An asian parent recently told us that she had a complain about the school recently and Mel Curtis bluntly told them that they can leave JPS if they are not happy. This is not the kind of behaviour you would expect from the principal of a school.

In her recent letter to parents on 25 September, she claimed that the average number of students has risen from 25 to 26. This is complete rubbish as we know of many classes with 28 students.

Again, this showed her ignorance or she thinks parents are stupid enough to believe her.

With this many additional students, facilities are crammed and play areas are always crowded and toilets are always dirty.

Instead of solving these important issues, she is creating more problems and should be fired immediately.

Can someone suggest how we can get her out???