Thursday, September 25, 2008

FYI, please find below the mail we wrote on the 7th of Sept:


Dear Mrs. Curtis,

My family has been part of JPS for more than 5 years. My eldest son is now in year 4 and in his sixth year with JPS. My other sons year 2 and FS2 have also both been at the school since FS1. I personally have seen many changes both good and bad over the last nearly 6 years, but on the whole my husband and I were satisfied that we had made a good choice of school for our boys.

Unfortunately, we had a really bad suprise when we arrived at school yesterday. It seemed that nearly all the class sizes have been dramatically increased. I just would like to confirm with you, that JPS always had the policy to have 20 children in FS1, 21 in FS2 and in the other classes 25.

My little one, as I mentioned is in FS2. At the end of June I was told, (and I have it in writing), that 21 children will be in his class. The class list that was posted yesterday had 23 names on it.

I heard that 29 children are now allowed in all the other classes. Is this right? I personally heard about one class in yr 1 with 28 children. At the moment my boy's classes have 25children. I am hoping that it stays like this. For us it is totally unacceptable to have a class with so many children. would have preferred to pay even more fees, but leave the class size as it was.

Another major concern is that good quality teachers will leave the school for others where the class to teacher ratio is better. I have heard that a lot of the teacher staff are also unhappy with this decision.

Furthermore I am very disappointed by the information policy of JPS. The parents are up to now not even officially informed about these big changes. We had already signed up for another year with the knowledge that there would be no dramatic changes. We do not feel as though we were properly treated.

We were always happy with JPS, but I am sure this decision will be backfire on the school. I have never spoken up before on previous issues that I was annoyed by, however this change severely impacts my confidence in the school. There were so many angry parents yesterday and today. Obviously many parents will try to get their children in different schools with smaller classes.

With this decision the reputation of JPS will definitely suffer. We were always proud to be part of the JPS family, but not now after seeing how important decisions are handled within the relation between school and parents.

I eagerly await your response.

No comments: